There’s a lot to love about summer but dried out, sun ravaged hair is not among them.
Add to it the damage of wind, sun, sand, saltwater and chlorine and our hair goes into a major melt-down — meaning we need a big prescription of TLC.
To help you fight the most common hair issues of summer, check out my expert tips below:
- Summer heat, wind, and humidity inevitably causes frizz. Reduce frizz by drying your hair with a cotton t-shirt instead of a towel. A towel’s texture can cause a ton of friction which disrupts the cuticles and creates frizz, while the flat surface of a cotton t-shirt absorbs water without causing friction.
- Make sure to squeeze water from your hair and not rub it as this causes friction too.
- Blow-dry your hair on a medium to cool setting to close the cuticles and avoid frizzing.
- Use the correct products which are designed for this type of maintenance and are a key part of haircare.
- For hair that is already dry or damaged, frizz is your worst enemy.
- If you always blow dry your hair in the summer use an Argan oil. CG hairdressing argan oil is my go-to product. Apply to your wet hair and use it after blow-drying or using any sort of heat. You will find that your blow-dry lasts longer with less frizz due to the moisture from the Argan oil, which absorbs into your hair. It doesn’t weigh the hair down or makes it oily. The dry time is also shorter and hair is shinier which is a great bonus.
- Remember to go easy on the conditioners. It’s easy to go overboard on the products in an attempt to add moisture to dry or brittle hair. Dry hair needs moisture while brittle hair needs strength. Adding moisture to dry or brittle hair ends up weighing it down and dulling your hair’s natural shine.
Khairpep is my go-to product in the salon and the home-care treatment that I recommend to my clients. It seals the cuticle and provides the hair with strength, suppleness and makes it smooth. Basically, this is the miracle worker that anyone can use.
The Khairpep masque and serum are a game-changer for your hair. It keeps your locks healthier by repairing and bringing back to life damaged and colour treated hair. It only takes 4 minutes and won’t wash out even after shampooing, unlike traditional treatments or plex type products.
Here’s 5 good reasons you need Khairpep in your life:⠀
1. It takes 4 minutes to start working.⠀
2. It is a leave-in treatment and a time saver. ⠀
3. It does not build up or get heavy on the hair. ⠀
4. It does not wash out so it is always repairing! ⠀
5. It smoothes out the cuticle, therefore, taming frizziness. ⠀
Try it in the salon with your next colour service.
Prevent colour fading
When we spend more time outdoors during the sunny summer months – swimming, beach, golf and other outdoor activities – our hair colour will fade more quickly than usual. Don’t get into the habit of colouring your hair more frequently. Instead, ask if your hair is in good enough condition to hold onto the colour?
Maybe it’s time for a Haircare Consultation to revise your normal routine!
When you’re at the beach or by the pool, remember that this may leave hair colour looking unnaturally brassy because of the chlorine. Also, keep in mind that hair roots eventually become the ends, so maintenance is key. Hair colour fades naturally with every wash, but even faster with the harsh detergents in conventional shampoos.
Condition it up
Do a pre-wash and condition before hitting the ocean or pool. Most beaches and pools have public showers. You might think it’s weird to shower before getting in the water, but allowing your hair to soak up fresh, filtered water prevents it from absorbing the more harmful properties of chlorine or salt. Also, if you can spray or comb in a ‘leave-in conditioner’. CG Hairdressing heat protectant is a swim protector and helps against the sun fading your colour, so further protects your locks from damage. No public shower? Just use it with a spray-in conditioner! CG Moisture Repair Spray is ideal – or go with wet hair.
Please always remember to wash your hair ASAP after the beach or pool as this is key in the maintenance of keeping your hair and colour in good condition. I recommend using my CG Hairdressing Cleanse Shampoo and Conditioner. It has been formulated to removed chlorine and product build-up, but will not strip the hair of its natural oils and hair colour.
Summer is normally the time to let your hair go a couple of shades lighter, but avoid using homemade remedies like lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide. While these are effective at lightening your hair, they are also effective at increasing breakage and dryness.
To better understand the effects that the pool and beach have on your hair watch my quick video here